top of page

ENGLISH   |  中文  |   日本語

The cost of NHS treatment

15 March 2015

You may need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the ‘immigration health surcharge’ or IHS) as part of your immigration application.

If you’re applying online or through the premium service centre, you’ll pay the surcharge as part of your application or when you book an appointment.

If you’re applying by post, you must pay the healthcare surcharge onlinebefore you send your application - you’ll need to include the IHS reference number on your application form.

Your information will be shared with the National Health Service (NHS) in England if:

  • you’ve paid the healthcare surcharge (or are exempt from paying it)

  • your visa or immigration application is granted

You’ll then be able to use the NHS. You’ll still need to pay for certain types of services, eg prescriptions, dental treatment and eye tests.

You should bring your biometric residence permit with you when you access healthcare in the UK.


You’ll have to pay:

  • £150 per year as a student, eg £300 for a 2-year visa

  • £200 per year for all other visa and immigration applications, eg £1,000 for a 5-year visa


Visitor visas and short-term visas

You don’t have to pay the healthcare surcharge if you’re applying from outside the UK for a visitor visa or any visa that lasts 6 months or less.

You don’t need to use the healthcare surcharge service or get an IHSreference number for your visa application. Instead, you’ll have to pay for any healthcare you get through the NHS at the point you use it.




More Infomation:


News Source from:

Please reload

bottom of page