top of page

ENGLISH   |  中文  |   日本語


Family visas vary widely depending on your exact circumstance. A settled resident of the United Kingdom can apply to have their family members or relatives join them if their circumstance meets all the criteria set by the UKVI (United Kingdom Visa and Immigration).


In other situations, workers or students in the UK can also bring family to the UK providing they satisfy the UKVI's requirements.


A Partner as defined by the UKVI is any of the following: husband, wife, civil partner, fiancé(e), proposed civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a person settled here or a migrant worker/student. If you are looking to enter the UK as any of the categories listed here, you must also declare the status of your relationship and where necessary, when the relationship ends. If you are in a relationship with a person who is settled here, or is applying to settle here, you can apply for permission to enter or remain in the UK with a view to settlement as their: husband, wife or civil partner; fiance(e) or proposed civil partner; or unmarried/same-sex partner. 



Bringing your children, including adopted children, to the United Kingdom if you are a British citizen or you have temporary or permanent permission to live here.

If you are a permanent resident of the UK or you have been given permission to settle in the UK, you may be able to bring your children to live here permanently. If you have temporary permission to enter or remain in the UK, you may be able to bring your children to live with you while you are here. Unless you have sole responsibility for your children or there are serious reasons why they must be allowed to come to the UK, they will not be allowed to come and live here unless both parents are already living in or coming to the UK.

​Elderly dependent relatives

Coming to or staying in the United Kingdom as the parent, grandparent or other elderly dependant of a person settled here.

If you are a parent, grandparent or other dependant relative of a British citizen or a person settled in the UK (known as your 'settled relative'), you may apply for permission to settle permanently here (known as 'indefinite leave to enter or remain'). As well as partners and children under 18, the following relatives can apply to join a settled person in the UK: widowed mothers and widowed fathers aged 65 or over; and parents or grandparents who are travelling together, if one of them is aged 65 or over.


You must prove that:

  • you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks

  • the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in

  • the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years

  • you’re 18 or over

​Marriage and civil partnership

Getting married or registering a civil partnership in the United Kingdom, whether you are coming for a short visit or planning to stay here. 


If you and your future husband, wife or civil partner are both in the UK but at least one of you is subject to immigration control. If either of you is not already in the UK, you will need other documents before you can come here to get married or register your civil partnership.


* for all the above applicants, you may also need to meet the financial requirements that are set by the UKVI. 


Information above reflects current policy, but can change at anytime. Beaumont Park Associates is always up to date with any change, please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding to a Family Visa.

bottom of page