top of page

ENGLISH   |  中文  |   日本語

Frequently Asked Questions


I lost my BRP. What should I do?

If you lose your BRP, you must apply for a replacement BRP within the regulated time. You may be fined up to £1000 and have your permission to stay could be removed if you do not apply within time.

If you lost your BRP in the UK, you must apply within 3 months from the date you lost your BRP. A replacement BRP costs £45. You must report to the Home Office immediately by

emailing, calling +44 (0) 208 527 3263, or via online report


You can choose either postal or premium service (only if you have leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain). The application process and details could be found here:

If you lost your BRP outside the UK, you must apply within 1 month from the date you lost your BRP. Again, you must report to the Home Office immediately by email or phone. As BRP cannot be applied from the outside the UK, you must apply for a single entry visa to re-enter the UK. Once you entered the UK you will need to apply for a replacement BRP as explained above.


BPA assists your re-application to enter the UK from outside and replacement of BRP. Please do not hesitate to contact us.

I am a student under Tier 4 General visa, and lost my passport and visa while traveling outside the UK. What should I do?

Firstly, did you get your passport and visa stolen? Or just lost them?

If it is stolen, you must report it to the local police and obtain a police report. You will need this to apply for a new passport and replacement visa.

If it is either stolen or lost,

you must contact your embassy to obtain a temporary passport to return to the UK. Each embassy will guide you their way to get your new passport. Then you have to apply for permission to return to the UK, though, the application system varies depending on your visa form – is it vignette attached to your lost passport? Or is it BRP (Biometric Resident Permit)?


If it is a vignette attached to your passport and lost together with your passport,

you have to re-apply for Tier 4 General visa paying the full application fee. You do NOT need CAS letter, though you have to prove that you are a student (e.g. original university letter) hence you may be required to contact your university. Once you get the new enter clearance to return to the UK, you now have to apply for BRP (ref:!Summary-of-Changes-Made-in-Tier-4-in-July-2015/c13p1/icw5rdnr175)


If it is BRP, you must contact the Home Office immediately by emailing, calling +44 (0) 208 527 3263, or via online report ( BRP card will be cancelled, and you must apply for a single entry visa to re-enter the UK. BRP cannot be applied from outside the UK, therefore once you entered the UK you will need to apply for a replacement BRP. (Please see the question “I lost my BRP, what should I do?”)


BPA assists your re-application to enter the UK from outside and replacement of BRP. Please do not hesitate to contact us.

What is CAS letter?

For applying Tier 4, students are required to submit CAS letter (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) alongside with their application form. University will grand the CAS letter once qualifications meet the requirement of the course to be accepted.

However, sometimes it takes time for university to process the CAS letter. We advise you to prepare other necessary documents for student visa application prior to receiving the CAS letter.


BPA consultants have dealt with hundreds of students’ visa application/ extension. In order for you to enrol the university in time, it is important to start preparing for visa application in advance. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any inquiries regarding to student visa application.

I am applying for Tier 4 General, aged over 18 - do I have to submit my own bank statements to prove the sufficient funding for my application?

No, you can submit the bank statement of your parents with the sufficient funding for more than 28 days. However, you must also submit Parents' Support Letter along with evidence of relationship.


BPA will assist you to draft a support letter from your parents, for the successful application.

I have already booked a flight ticket to travel back home for Christmas break, while waiting to get my passport back from Tier 4 visa extension. How long does it take to extend student visa within the UK?

Using Premium Service (in-person application), you will usually receive a decision on the day of appointment and your visa should be posted to you within 3-7 business days.


Using Standard Service (postal application), you will usually receive a decision from the Home Office within 8 weeks. Approx. 1-2 weeks after receiving the acknowledgement letter, you will receive an instruction regarding how to enroll your biometric information.


In general, we recommend you not to book any flight ticket to go home until you receive your biometrics residence permit card.

Can I use TOIEC result rather than IELTs result to apply a UK University course?

BPA is afraid to say under the current immigration law, you can only apply with IELTs or Trinity College London SELT from one of the UKVI approved centres as your English qualification. However, you may not have to submit if you have already studied in the UK longer enough to be exempted for submitting English qualification.


Please do not hesitate to contact us with any inquiry about English qualification. BPA offers educational consultation where we can advise you a school/ institution to improve your English skills so as to meet the requirement for visa application.

Where can we see if I need visa to enter the UK?

If you are not a British citizen you might need entry clearance (permission to enter the country) to enter the UK. Only British nationals, EU citizens, EEA members, Switzerland, and members of the Overseas Countries and Territories (OCT) are exempt from needing a visa to enter the UK.

There are 56 countries and territories that do not need an entry visa for stays of up to 6 months. Anyone planning on staying for longer than the permitted six months must obtain a proper visa (study, work or other kinds of visa) in order to remain in the UK legally.

You can check if you require a visa for staying up to 6 months:

How long does it take to prepare and acquire visa?

It will highly depend on the types of visa your situation and where you apply. Some may need months to prepare, or may be able to apply within a few days.

Usually we advise that the result of your application will be available on average 2-3 weeks if you apply from overseas for a non-settlement application and 2-3 months for a settlement application. It

takes 4-8 weeks on average for most applications if you apply from inside the UK, however could take it up to 6 months for certain types of applications.


BPA consultants highly recommend you to prepare your visa in advance, in order to avoid any last minute disappointment. Please feel free to contact us via phone or email, to discuss your visa option.

What kind of documents are required for UK visa application?

The required documents will be different on each visa application, therefore we clarify what

documents are needed when we send you the client care letter. We may recommend additional documents during the time of dealing with your application if we think it may

strength your application.

Please do not hesitate to contact us via phone or email, and book the first consultation to find solutions for your concern.

What kinds of visa does BPA include in their service?

We offer the standard service and the premium service for people who wish to have professional assistance for their visa application below:

  • Tier 1 Investor, Entrepreneur

  • Tier 2 General, ICT

  • Tier 4 General Student, Child Student

  • Tier 5 YMS, International Student Internship Scheme, Government Authorised Exchange

  • EEA

  • Settlement, British Citizenship

  • PBS Dependent

  • Spouse Visa

  • Family visa

  • Unmarried partner and same sex partnership

  • Standard Visitor Visa

  • Short-term Study Visa

  • Tier 2 Sponsor License


Can I use BPA visa support service from overseas?

Yes, you certainly can. Visa application can be done both inside/ outside the UK, and our trained consultants can explain you what is the best option for your application.


Recently some of our clients include,

  1. a lady who is married to a EEA national, though her husband is in the UK while she is applying for residence permit in Japan to enter the UK

  2. a student who is willing to transfer his university and switch his visa to the new sponsor, while he is staying in China for summer holiday


If you live outside the UK and wish to use BPA visa support service, please do not hesitate to contact us via phone or email. It is possible for us to organise skype consultation or phone consultation.

Does BPA one-off checking service available for all types of visa?

We are afraid to say that it is not applicable for all types of visa. For instance, it is certainly doable for us to offer one-off checking service for Tier 4 general extension/ application. However, other visas such as Tier 1 cannot be done within one-off checking service as the process of application is more complicated.


If you wish to use BPA one-off checking service but are not sure whether your visa application is applicable for the service, please contact us via phone or email.

What is BPA premium service?

BPA premium service is where our consultant accompany you to go to visa premium service centre for one-day application. The system is called “Visa premium service” available for those who wish to apply to extend your visa or to settle in the UK and get a decision on the same day.

In order to us Visa premium service, you must be applying from within the UK. Most applications are processed the same day if you bring all the information needed to your appointment.




BPA can accompany you on the day of appointment, or you can chose go to the appointment by yourself. BPA can book your premium service appointment without any extra charge.

I have entered the UK without visa, can I switch to extend my stay by applying for another visa?

In most cases it is impossible to switch/ extend within the UK if you hold a standard visitor visa or a temporary visa. We advise you to go back to your home country and follow the appropriate procedures for applying another visa. Although it may depend on the circumstances, for more details please do not hesitate to contact us.

What is the benefits of using BPA visa application service?

BPA was established in 2011, and has assisted hundreds of people who wish to enter the UK for travel, study, work and residency. All of our legal advisers are fully experienced and are regulated by the industry standards set by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).


Since the office is located in the centre of London, BPA can provide the latest news about UK Visa and Immigration rules. Changes to the Visa and Immigration laws occur frequently and you must apply with the most up to date information for the success of your application.


In addition, our multilingual consultants can offer the service in English, Chinese, and Japanese. Please feel free to express any of your concerns to us in those languages, and our trained consultants will be happy to assist your application from the beginning till the end.

I wish to work in the UK, do I need “Sponsor”?

You are required to have legally registered sponsor in order to apply for work visa (Tier 2), unless you wish to start your own business or to invest under Tier 1.

Does all the companies in the UK can sponsor my work visa?

No. From Nov 2008, companies without sponsor license could no longer hire foreign workers (i.e. non- EEA nationals). It is a strict legal requirement for the company to obtain sponsor license if hiring a foreign national and to sponsor their visa.

BPA Tier 2 sponsorship license service will assist your company to apply for sponsor license. Furthermore, we offer SMS managing service which assist you to maintain your sponsor license under SMS (Sponsorship management System) regulated by the UK government.


For individual who wish to know whether or not a company has sponsor license, you can visit

I have been working under Tier 2 General visa, however I am fired. I still have time to stay under the current visa, can I get another job under the same visa?

You have to reapply for your Tier 2 General visa under the new sponsorship if you change your work place. The reason for that could be either you are fired by the current job, or the company goes out of business.

Can I extend my visa or switch to another visa within the UK?

You may be able to extend or switch to another visa within the UK, however all temporary visa such as standard visitor visa cannot be extended or switched to another visa while your stay in the UK.


For more details about extending or switching your visa within the UK or from outside the UK, please contact us via phone or email so that our consultants will assess the best possible option for you.

I am from Japan and getting married in the UK, what do I need to do?

Spouse visa application highly depends on the situation – whether or not you already have the presence in the UK, whether your partner is British national or EEA national and so on. Visa application will vary depending on financial state as well.


BPA highly recommend you to use our professional service to clarify any of your concern regarding to applications based on marriage.

I am divorced in the UK, am I allowed to stay in the UK under spouse visa?

You are permitted to stay in the UK after the divorce only if you obtain the permanent residence.

When can I apply for permanent residence?

The requirements to apply for the permanent residence includes the length of your stay in the UK, your marriage status, and your financial circumstances and so on.


It is generally said that the minimum length of your stay in the UK is 5 years for work visa holders, and 10 years for continuous legal stayers. However, it does highly depend on the circumstances.


In order to be assessed whether or not you are eligible to apply for the permanent residence, please contact us to book an appointment for the first consultation with our experienced consultants.

I wish to work in the UK, under what visa can I work?

Under the following visa, you may be eligible to work full time;

Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 5 YMS, Tier 5 International Student Internship Scheme*, or resident permit holder (permanent resident, PBS Dependent, Spouse visa)

*Internship may be paid or unpaid.


Under the following visa, you are eligible to work under certain conditions;

Tier 4 General Student (only permitted to work up to 20 hours/ week during term time depends on where you study and what level of your course)


Under the following visa, you are NOT allowed to work;

Tourist visa (or no visa from certain states), Standard Visitor Visa, Short – term Study Visa

If my initial application was refused, can BPA help me to appeal?

Unfortunately, BPA cannot work on all administrative review or appeal cases as of the limitation of our regulation level.

I have been refused to enter the UK/ some countries in the past, does that affect my application?

Having visa refusal history does not mean your next visa application will get refused again unless you

receive a ban from the UK. However, the visa officer will check your immigration history as one of the

references and make decision on the balance of probabilities if the refusal reason related to the type

of visa you apply at this time. If you want to make a new application with visa refusal history, please

contact us for a comprehensive consultation and we will discuss with you for the best solution.

Please reload

bottom of page